Best seaweed farming technologies – Dutch example
Commercially viable sea farming requires high-tech machinery and management systems to optimize production.
Researchers, engineers, operators, IT developers and others need to collaborate to develop the needed equipment and find a way to make it available for all farmers. It holds the promise for more automation and valorisation in a Dutch-designed industry of sea farming.
Requirements for seaweed farming
- More automated farming to conduct real-time monitoring and intervening.
- For instance remote monitoring solutions for sea farmers to minimize cost and safety risk.
- Conduct research pilots for new, large-scale breeding and processing equipment and machinery.
- Robust systems, suitable for the offshore environment that will support the ecosystems.
- Cost-effective and commercially viable systems.
- Strategic Environmental Impact Analysis to calculate climate impact.
Copy right article/author Stichting Noordzeeboerderij.