About Smart Blue Regions
- Implementing the RIS3 in the Baltic Sea Region
- What is Blue Growth?
Not only are the RIS3 a new EU policy instrument, also Blue Growth is still a relatively new concept. Whereas traditional maritime activities like shipping and fishery have been targeted by European, national and regional for decades, there is still only a limited base of experience of proven policy measures when it comes to e.g. blue biotechnology / life science, maritime surveillance / technology or new propulsion technologies based on marine energy resources. The aim of this project is thus to solve this lack and develop targeted support measures in 6 Baltic Regions of Estonia, Finland, Germany, Latvia, Poland and Sweden.
The project focuses on the blue value chain of energy, machinery & technology and life science & blue medicine.The project has ensured the involvement of various stakeholders from the research and business sectors. The project partners have the ambition to spur a number of follow-up projects and cooperation so that the whole Baltic Sea Region might become a model maritime region in Europe.
What we aim to achieve
Smart Blue Regions will:
- Increase the operational capacity of the 6 Baltic „Smart Blue Regions“ to implement Blue Growth RIS3 by:
- Developing a multi-level implementation scheme on the regional level;
- Organising transnational policy stakeholder workshops for the regional authorities;
- Developing a monitoring and review system for evaluating, monitoring and benchmarking Blue Growth.
- Help the 6 Regions optimise their own set of Blue Growth specific RIS3 implementation measures by integrating good practice cases from other regions by:
- Developing an engagement strategy for regional innovation actors with targeted information material on blue RIS3;
- Selecting, adapting and taking up new policy measures supporting Blue Growth.
- Improve the understanding of macro-regional synergies and transnational cooperation by:
- Elaborating a Baltic Sea Region-wide study identifying Blue Growth cooperation opportunities;
- Operationalising joint transnational projects in the field of Blue Growth.